ECIR workshops provide a venue for exploring novel ideas in a less formal and possibly more focused way than the main conference itself. We expect that the workshops will offer a forum to encourage researchers (and, in particular, PhD students) to present their work, and to obtain valuable feedback in an interactive and supportive environment. The format of each workshop is to be determined by the organizers, and we are looking for exciting and dynamic workshops that have significant room for participant interaction. Researchers and practitioners from all segments of the information retrieval community are invited to submit workshop proposals. The organizers of approved workshops are expected to define the workshop's focus, gather and review submissions, and determine the final program of the workshop. All workshop organizers must attend the workshop in person.
Workshops will take place on the first day of the conference, Sunday, March 24, 2013.
We solicit proposals for full-day or half-day workshops.
Proposals should be at most 4 pages long, and should contain the following information:
- the title and brief description of the workshop
- whether it will be a full-day or half-day workshop
- background, motivation, and appropriateness to ECIR
- the workshop objectives and desired outcomes
- the format of the workshop (planned activities and a tentative schedule of events)
- the intended audience, and the selection process for participants
- what resources are required (if any)
- if this workshop is related to another workshop (or if a similar workshop has been held previously at ECIR or another conference), then the organisers should clearly indicate so and briefly describe past attendance and outcomes, and why another workshop is needed.
- short bios of the organisers + description of their relevant experience in conference/workshop organization
- any other relevant information you may want to include to support your proposal (the list of invited speakers, program committee, etc.)
Proposals should be submitted in PDF format at https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecir13ws (email submissions will not be accepted).
Proposals will undergo peer review by the Workshop Committee:
- Evgeniy Gabrilovich, Workshop Chair (Google)
- Ben Carterette (University of Delaware)
- Kevyn Collins-Thompson (Microsoft Research)
- Oren Kurland (Technion)
- Mounia Lalmas (Yahoo Research Barcelona)
- Ronny Lempel (Yahoo Research Israel)
- David Losada (University of Santiago de Compostela)
- Sofus Macskassy (ISI/USC)
- Donald Metzler (Google)
- Elad Yom-Tov (Microsoft Research)
Workshop submission: 16 September 2012
Workshop notification: 30 October 2012
In case on any questions, please contact Evgeniy Gabrilovich (gabr AT [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google].com)